Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day Six

I feel great!

It's going pretty good. Yesterday was the first day that I didn't eat anything solid. No carrot sticks, no apple slices, no midnight refrigerator runs for a bite of chicken leg.

I found myself on the way to pick up my son from school, praying that my daughter had eaten the last of the salted caramels I remembered I had in the car. She hadn't. I sat with one in my hand and looked at it for about five minutes, thinking about all of the reasons I wanted it, and all of the reasons I didn't. It was strange, and it was enlightening. The reason I wanted it was because I wanted it. Period. But there was a long list of really good reasons I didn't want it. They made sense. They actually made more sense than eating it made, which makes no sense to me, because carbohydrate addiction and glacial metabolism are my Demons.

And make no mistake, they are Demons. I have the most willpower of anyone I know. I can stick to a plan and carry it out. I finish projects. I have been self-employed for 13 years. I was raised to believe that I can do anything, and by golly I can.

But I am fat. Because all of the willpower in the world is nothing if my hand starts putting the food in my mouth 20 minutes before I realize it's happening. And because my fabulous, amazing body can gain weight on 500 calories a day. I am not oblivious to the situation, except in the moment when it's happening.

I digress.

I wanted to answer another question I've been getting. Is it expensive to juice?

It doesn't have to be. Here's what I do. It's much more boring than my cousin Merica's plan, which looks delicious by the way, but it works for me. I'm kind of roughly following the Gersons' juice plan. They say that a base of apples and carrots is great for healing disease, and that sounds just juicy to me, so I'm going with it.

I found 3-pound bags of small organic fuji apples at New Seasons for $2.99 so my apples are about $1.00 per pound this week, but they are usually about $2.00 per pound. I buy organic limes, beets, ginger, turmeric, and I get the 10 pound bags of organic carrots at Costco for $5.99.

I use about 3 pounds of apples a day ($1.80 to $3.60), and the same amount of carrots ($1.80). One lime ($1.00), one half large or one small beet ($1.00), two thumbs of ginger ($0.75), one knuckle of turmeric ($0.50). That works out to about $6.85 to $8.65 per day, or about $50.00 to $60.00 per week for the base price. I also add in greens every day, and red peppers, broccoli, cucumbers, whatever is on sale. It still is under $75.00 per week.

The weight is coming off. On the days when I eat raw carrot or apple slices, it comes off slower than the days when I eat nothing solid. But I don't want it to come off too fast, because I want to be able to maintain my weight loss, and I don't want my skin to be all saggy.

'Cause yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment