Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day Four

The weekend went okay. I was delighted to find your comment here, Merica, about listening to your body. Juicing - especially if you are using organic produce and going cold-shoulder on the turkey - really spills toxins into your bloodstream quickly. The Gersons talk about using coffee enemas to encourage your liver to spill the toxins into your gut so you can eliminate them more quickly. But if you are not doing that - and I'm just not, thank you, even though it sounds pleasant and stuff - easing into things is important.

And I am. Here's what I found out-and-about in Portland on Reboot Day 2. If the restaurant has a decent bar, the bartender will squeeze any combination of fresh citrus juice for you. Everyone sitting around me, eating cooked whatnot and stuff, was ooohing and aaahing over the smell of my fresh grapefruit juice. I ate a raw asian slaw with a couple of ahi skewers covered in sesame seeds that looked like a torch had been passed somewhere near them but they were still fairly pink, and then they were stuck in an upside down half orange. It was a tiny dinner, off of the happy hour menu at Jake's, but it was just perfect for easing into a fast.

Saturday evening was easy too. I went to Chipotle and got a burrito bowl with the fresh vegetable options in it - no rice, no beans. It felt like the guacamole was important - like I needed a little bit of fat. That cut the headache I was getting and allowed me to sleep.

Oh yes - and next time I start one of these I'm going to remember to pay attention to where I am in my cycle, because I really do need more protein and more fat and more iron at certain times of the month.

On to the burning question - what juicer do I use? I have gotten this question several times over the last few days. I'm using a Breville Juice Fountain Elite, just like the ones they use in the film. I have tried the Champion and the Jay Kordich Power Grind Pro as well. In my experience, the Breville is easier to use, faster to use, less temperamental, and easier to clean. The other two have things going for them that the Breville doesn't (you can make sorbet with the Champion, and the Power Grind does much better with greens and makes nut milks), but the Breville is my story and I'm sticking with it.

I do put greens through the juicer, and it does okay with them as long as I pack them down tightly or wrap them around the carrots as they go through, but I am also adding a little bit of powdered broken-cell-wall chlorella to my juice several times a day so I can make sure my protein intake is sufficient - especially during the winter when I get really cold if I don't have enough protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment